Listen in English

Escucha en Español

Payment Information

If there are no eligibility issues and you submit timely weekly reports, your first payment will be available about two and a half weeks after you submit your application for benefits.

Why didn't I receive a payment for the first week I was in the unemployment insurance program?

As mandated by the Idaho legislature, you must serve a waiting week at the start of your new claim. During this waiting week you must have either been totally unemployed, or if you worked part-time, you must not have earned more than 1-1/2 times your weekly benefit amount. You also must meet all the personal eligibility requirements and claim for the week.

» Read more about a waiting week here.

How will I know if my payment was processed?

Claim information may be accessed online at Click on "Certifications and Payments" under the Manage Claims section.

What if I think my payment is late?

You can find out when your payment was processed by accessing the Certification and Payments option at If the system states your payment has been processed and you feel you should have already received it, contact us at (208) 332-8942.

How are benefits paid?

Payments are issued as direct deposit to your checking or savings account or as money available to a U.S. Bank ReliaCard issued to you. The following questions and answers describe some of the features of direct deposit and the ReliaCard.

Direct deposit:

You can enroll in this service online at By doing so, you are authorizing the Idaho Department of Labor to credit your bank account each time you file for and are entitled to receive benefits.

What information do I need to enroll?

  • A valid email address
  • Your financial institution's nine-digit routing number
  • Your checking account number (up to 17 digits)

Your account number and routing number are on your checks OR you can contact your financial institution to verify the account information

How long does it take for services to begin?

Before deposit of your weekly benefit payments can begin, the Department must verify the information you provide. This generally takes up to two days. If there is a problem with the information you have provided you will be notified immediately by email.

When can I expect my payment to be deposited into my account?

Payment will generally be available two to three business days after you submit your weekly certification. Once you have filed your weekly claim for benefits and all eligibility requirements are met, the automated system will transfer payment to the financial institution you have specified. Payments will not be transmitted on state, federal or banking holidays or on weekends.

What if a deposit of benefits is not posted to my account?

Log in and click on the "Manage Claims" link to confirm that a valid claim was processed and no issues exist.

If payment was issued by the Department but does not appear in your account, you will need to contact your financial institution to find out when the payment will be posted to your account.

If your financial institution has no record of the transfer within four days of the time you filed your weekly claim and you have NOT received any notification from this Department that an issue exists that is prohibiting payment (check to verify payment was made), you will need to contact your financial institution.

What record of my UI benefit deposit will I receive?

Your financial institution will provide a record of deposits made to your account on your monthly statements. The online "Payment Summary" link at can tell you when payment for a particular week was issued.

Can I participate in direct deposit if I have a joint account?

Yes. However, the Department IS NOT able to release UI payment information to other holders on the account. The Department WILL NOT involve itself in disputes regarding use of funds deposited to a joint account. The Department WILL NOT ALLOW any deposit of benefit payments to a 3rd Party account (an account on which the claimant is not a legal holder/signer).

Must my bank be located in Idaho?

No. The Department can deposit to most financial institutions. Before enrolling, you should confirm that your financial institution accepts direct deposits.

Can I deposit only a portion of my benefit payments to an account?

No. If you elect to enroll in direct deposit services, the full amount of the payment will be made to a single account of your choice. If child support payments are being collected or taxes are being withheld, they will be withdrawn first and the remaining benefit amount will be deposited in your account.

Can I still have federal taxes withheld when using direct deposit?

Yes. If you requested to have federal taxes deducted from your weekly benefits when you filed your initial claim, this will continue for the duration of your benefit year unless you change your withholding.

I'm not good with a computer. Can Department of Labor staff help me enter my account and routing information?

No. To protect you and the Department, staff will not be allowed to assist claimants when they enter their direct deposit information.

U.S. Bank ReliaCard option:

What are the advantages of the ReliaCard?

  • Payments are automatically deposited on the bank card issued to you by the Idaho Department of Labor and your bank card can be used anywhere Visa is accepted.
  • A bank card is safer than cash and can be replaced.
  • Your unemployment insurance benefits can be spent as soon as they are deposited onto the card.
  • No more trips to the bank or check-cashing fees.
  • Make purchases anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted such as grocery stores, discount stores and medical facilities.
  • You can pay bills or shop online with your card.
  • You can request cash back with purchases at many merchants like supermarkets and retail stores or you can withdraw cash at more than 1.2 million Visa/Plus® ATMs worldwide. Teller cash withdrawals can also be made at any financial institution that accepts Visa.
  • Bank cards are confidential. Card account information is strictly confidential. Benefits are deposited onto the card, but only you have access to information about how your money is used.

When will I receive my card and what do I do then?

Once you're determined eligible, your card with your first payment should arrive during your third week of unemployment. The card will arrive in a plain, white window envelope with an Indianapolis, IN, return address.

After receiving the card in the mail, you must call (855) 203-3818 to activate the card and choose your PIN. Remember, the first week you meet the eligibility criteria is your waiting week. You must also file a weekly certification application (formerly known as a continued claims report) for each week you are requesting payment.

If a personal eligibility issue (you quit a job, you were discharged, you are not able or available for full-time work) has been identified on your claim, this issue must be resolved before payment can be made.

Do I need a PIN number to use the card?

Yes, and you choose your own PIN when you call and activate your card.

When is money available on my card?

A card will be mailed to you approximately two to four business days after you report for the previous week. If you submit your weekly report on Sunday before 7 p.m., your card will have funds available beginning Wednesday. You may review the certifications and payment summary screen at to confirm that your card has been funded. The payment released will show when funds are available on your card.

How long is my card good?

Your card is good for three years; do not discard after you stop filing for unemployment insurance benefits.

How will I receive my unemployment insurance benefits and when will my benefit amount be available on my debit card for spending?

Your unemployment insurance benefits will be automatically loaded to your card account.

If you are filing an initial claim, your claim has nothing preventing payment and you file your weekly certifications, you should receive your card approximately three weeks after the claim is filed. Your benefit amount will be available for spending once you activate your card. If we are investigating an issue on your claim and we find you eligible, the card will be issued two days after the decision is made. This is to allow us time to transmit your information to U.S. Bank and for them to create and send your card.

If you are already receiving benefits, already have your card and you file your weekly claim on a Sunday before 7 p.m., your funds should be available by the following Wednesday at 8 a.m. local time. If you file your weekly claim any time after Sunday or Monday, your benefit amount won't be available until sometime after Thursday.

When should I expect to start using my bank card?

Remember, if you do not choose the direct deposit option when you file your initial application or weekly certification application (formerly known as a weekly continued claims report), you will automatically be sent a card. Your bank card should arrive 7-10 days after you report for your first payable week of unemployment insurance benefits.

Are there fees associated with using a U.S. Bank ReliaCard?

Yes. While there are no fees for point of sales purchases or using the cash-back option, there are service fees for using “out of network” ATMs, emergency card replacement, foreign currency transactions and transferring funds to another account.

How do I use my bank card to make purchases?

Using your ReliaCard Visa debit card is easy. Your card works much like other prepaid or debit cards. Use it wherever Visa is accepted – online, over the phone, at grocery stores, retail stores, restaurants, medical offices and other establishments.

  1. Know your balance before you shop.
  2. Present your card. Select “Credit” if you want to make a purchase only. Select “Debit” if you want cash back with your purchase.
  3. Check your purchase receipt. Keep your receipt and keep track of your remaining balance.

How can I get cash with my card?

There are three ways to get cash with your ReliaCard Visa:

  • Use your card to get cash at virtually any ATM in the United States and around the world. Fees are assessed for using ATMs not owned by U.S. Bank.
  • Receive cash withdrawals at participating banks or credit unions.
  • Use the cash-back option at thousands of merchants nationwide like major retailers, grocery stores, pharmacies and convenience stores at no additional charge.

How do I get cash at a bank or credit union?

Make sure to know your available balance. The teller will not have access to this information. Ask the teller for a cash withdrawal in the amount you wish to withdraw. Keep your receipt and keep track of your remaining balance.

How do I get cash back from a merchant?

When the authorization machine asks for credit or debit, select “Debit.” Enter your four-digit PIN. Select “Yes” for cash back. Enter the amount, press “OK.”

Where is my nearest U.S. Bank or MoneyPass ATM?

U.S. Bank has an online tool for finding a branch location nearest you.

MoneyPass also offers thousands of surcharge-free ATMs coast to coast. To find the closest MoneyPass ATM, visit the MoneyPass online locator.

How can I check the available balance on my card?

You can obtain your current available balance three ways:

  • View your account online at
  • Perform an online balance inquiry at a MoneyPass ATM or U.S. Bank at no charge. (Out-of-network banks may charge a fee for this.)
  • Call Cardmember Services toll free 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (855) 203-3818.

Can I pay my bills from the ReliaCard website?

Yes, for free. After you log on to the ReliaCard website, select the "Bill Pay" link and accept the subscriber agreement. You have the option to set up payees and payment options. Payment options include one-time payment, pay at a future date and pay automatically at regular intervals.

Can I add or deposit additional funds from other sources to my card?

No. Only payments made by the Idaho Department of Labor can be deposited to your card.

Who do I call for help and how can I reach ReliaCard Customer Services?

You can call ReliaCard Cardmember Services 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (855) 203-3818.

What happens if my card is lost or stolen?

Call the toll-free Cardmember Services number, (855) 203-3818, to report a lost or stolen card. A new card will be issued free of charge and any remaining balance will be transferred to the new card. You will not be responsible for any confirmed fraudulent activity that occurs on your card. Emergency replacement cards are extra and cost $15 for shipping costs.

I am not currently collecting unemployment. Why did I receive a debit card?

New debit cards are sent to anyone who has an activated card, even if they are not currently receiving benefits. You will need this card if you collect unemployment benefits in the future.

What if I have a balance on my old card?

If the card about to expire has a balance, that balance will be transferred to your new card.

How do I know if my new card has a balance?

Contact U.S. Bank at (855) 203-3818.

What if my mailing address changed?

Visit and update your contact information. The responsibility for keeping your mailing address current in our system falls to you.

What should I do with my old card?

Once you activate your new card, destroy your old card.

What if my card expired, but I did not get a new card?

Verify your address is accurate with us by logging on to and then contact U.S. Bank at (855) 203-3818.

Are unemployment insurance benefits taxable?

Yes. Benefits are fully taxable income. You may elect to have federal taxes withheld at the rate of 10 percent from your unemployment insurance benefits. Idaho state taxes are not withheld. We will mail a statement (Form 1099-G) to your last known mailing address showing the total amount of benefits you were paid the previous year. The statement is mailed to you and to the Internal Revenue Service by the end of January each year. You also may obtain this information online at

Benefits paid on Interstate claims will be reported by the paying state. If you have questions about your taxes, contact the IRS or a tax consultant.

It is your responsibility to update your address.

Can money be deducted from my benefit payment for child support payments?

Public Law 97-35 requires us to withhold funds from unemployment insurance benefits in cases where a child support enforcement agency is enforcing either a voluntary support agreement or a court order to pay money for child support. The Department of Health and Welfare enters information directly into the unemployment insurance system.

Any questions regarding child support enforcement deductions must be directed to the Department of Health and Welfare, Child Support Services, at its toll-free number of 1-800-356-9868.

Return to unemployment insurance FAQ