Listen in English

Escucha en Español

Remaining Eligible

What must I do to be eligible each week?

First, you must file your weekly certification. You also must be working less than full time, be physically and mentally able to work, be available for work and actively seeking full-time work. You must be willing and able to work all of the days and hours normal for the type of work you are seeking. Finally, you must remain in your area unless you are seeking work elsewhere.

What could stop or deny my benefits?

Situations arise that require the Idaho Department of Labor to stop payment while investigating claims and issue decisions that may deny benefits. Some of these issues are:

  • Quitting a job
  • Being fired
  • Being unable to work
  • Being out of the labor market
  • Attending school
  • Being incarcerated
  • Missing or refusing suitable work
  • Failing to seek work (see Work Search Requirements?)
  • Failing to provide requested information
  • Making a false statement or withholding information to obtain benefits
  • Becoming self-employed as your principal occupation

Am I still eligible for benefits if I go out of town?

We cannot pay you for any week you are on vacation.

If you are seeking work out of town, you will be asked to provide the names and addresses of where you looked for work while you were there. We may contact these employers to verify your work search.

Remember to answer the question, “Were you away from the area where you normally look for work?” as Yes on your weekly certification application (formerly known as weekly continued claim report). An adjudicator will contact you for additional information to determine if you are eligible for benefits during the week you were out of town.

What if I get a full-time job?

You should not claim benefits for any week in which you worked full time. You are no longer eligible to collect benefits. There is no need to call us; simply quit filing your weekly certifications to make your claim inactive. Continuing to collect benefits could lead to monetary penalties and criminal prosecution. The next time you work less than full time and want to claim benefits, you will need to reopen your claim.

What if I become unemployed again? Do I reopen my claim?

If you have not claimed benefits for two or more consecutive weeks or have earned over 1½ times your weekly benefit amount for two consecutive weeks, your claim is automatically stopped. To reopen your claim, go to If you do not have Internet access, please visit the Idaho Department of Labor office nearest you.

Your claim is open the Sunday of the week in which you reopen your claim. Do not wait until the week is over before reopening your claim; Idaho does not allow backdating the claim-effective date. If you have worked since your last filing, be sure to have a complete and accurate list of employer addresses.

Can I withdraw my claim?

You may withdraw your claim at anytime by submitting a written request provided:

  • You did not misrepresent or fail to report a material fact in making the claim
  • AND you agree to repay any benefits received.

Ask us if you have questions about withdrawals. Your claim is not withdrawn when you stop reporting.

Do I have to look for work?

Yes. Your obligation while receiving unemployment benefits is to become re-employed, and you should develop a realistic plan to achieve this objective. Unless otherwise specified in your work-search plan, you are required to make a good faith effort to seek full-time work each week that you claim benefits, even if you are employed part time. You must make at least two employment contacts per week.

Please see our work search FAQs for more details.

How will I know if I am required to look for work?

Your work-seeking requirements will be emailed to you. During the application process, there is an page that must be completed acknowledging you will review the work-seeking requirements. Unless otherwise specified, you are required to make a good faith effort to seek full-time work each week that you claim benefits, even if you are employed part time. We require at least two employment contacts per week. Never assume that you are not required to look for work. Call us at (208) 332-8942 if you have questions regarding your work-search requirements.

Do I have to provide my work-search contacts?

Yes. You will be prompted to enter your work search contacts when you file your weekly certification. You may want to use our work search log to help keep track of your weekly contacts. The contacts you list will be verified with the employers. Falsifying work-search contacts will result in a determination of fraud.

You also may be required to participate in an in-person interview with a workforce consultant at your local office. The interview is designed to help you return to work in the shortest time possible. The consultant may assist you with labor market information, resumes and innovative ideas for seeking work. Failure to participate will result in your benefits being stopped.

How do I change my mailing address?

Keep your mailing address up-to-date to avoid potential disqualifications. You will be mailed important documents, even if you selected email as your preferred method of contact. You can update your address at at

Click here for additional information about keeping your address up-to-date.

Return to unemployment insurance FAQ


Adjusting Text Size

Use your web browser to control the text size of our website. See below for where to find these controls.

Google Chrome:


Internet Explorer 6:

Internet Explorer 7+:

Mozilla Firefox:

Mozilla Firefox 2:

See instructions for other web browsers.