The Idaho Division of Building Safety is looking for a Building Plans Examiner in Meridian, Idaho to review commercial and residential building plans and specifications for compliance.
This is a full-time position with full state benefits. The anticipated work schedule is 40 hours per week, with some occasional overtime required.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION:
- Examining plans and specifications for new construction and remodeling of both commercial and residential structures;
- Determining design compliance with specific building codes and standards;
- Preparing detailed reports and correspondence regarding design review code compliance assessments;
- Consulting with and advising architects, engineers, attorneys, contractors, local and state officials, and the public on interpretation and application of various codes and regulations;
- Performing on‑site inspections of commercial and residential structures to assess complex compliance problems;
- Researching and evaluating new materials and construction technology for compliance with requirements;
- Preparing and presenting training sessions for local building officials;
- Assisting management and legal staff in addressing violations and possibly testifying in court or in administrative hearings.
- Certification as both a Building Plans Examiner and a Residential Plans Examiner through the International Code Council (ICC);
- Experience performing design reviews and compliance evaluations of construction plans for large, complex, multi-occupancy buildings;
- Experience analyzing data and operating a personal computer to generate written reports.
State law requires that anyone applying for a classified state job take an examination to determine their qualifications for the position they are applying for. It is also used to rank applicants by their level of qualification.
The examination for this position is a checklist of your training and experience. You will receive a score based on your responses, all of which must be supported by the resume or detailed work history you must include with your exam. You must receive a minimum rating of 70 to pass this examination.
To preview the minimum qualifications for this position, click on the Preview Exam button below. (You will not be able to apply from this screen. Please follow the directions under "To Apply" below).
Click on any Apply Online button (located on the left side of this screen) and follow the instructions provided to complete the application information and examination for this position.
When completing your online application information, please select:
- Division of Building Safety under "Agencies";
- Full-Time Employment under "Job Type/Shift";
- Meridian under "Cities".
If you have previously applied for this position, and wish to be considered for the current opening, you will need to re-apply under this announcement. Previous applications will not be used.
Applicants for this position may be required to undergo a background check before a final job offer is made. This background check may include any of the following:
- Verification of professional trade certifications;
- Criminal history background check;
- Previous employment background check.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Idaho Division of Building Safety!