PO Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0066
If you have questions,
please contact us at:
Environmental Health Specialist 1
Open for Recruitment: April 12, 2017 - April 26, 2017
Announcement # 07546047778
$16.05 - $22.01 per hour
-Plus Competitive Benefits!
Location(s): Twin Falls
South Central Public Health District has an exciting
opportunity in Environmental Health at our Twin Falls office!
This position is established at the Environmental Health Specialist 2 level. This classification, Environmental Health Specialist 1, will be used for training purposes for the Environmental Health Specialist 2 position. Through various types of on-the-job training and self-study, employees will learn to carry out the duties of the full working level (Environmental Health Specialist 2) and will be reclassified when full level is accomplished. Salary range for the Environmental Health Specialist 2 level is $18.49 - $24.65 per hour.Responsibilities:
- Inspect and evaluate environmental health concerns and enforce environmental health laws and advise on environmental concerns.
- Evaluate environmental health conditions through inspections, surveys, and investigations of food program establishments, day care facilities, solid waste systems, water supplies, sewage disposal systems, and land development sites for compliance with laws, regulations, and standards.
- Conducts tests to determine levels of pollution or contamination; operates and maintains specialized testing equipment and detection devices.
- Determines existence and cause of violations and prepares reports of findings for case facts.
- Provides assistance regarding control and correction of environmental practices.
- Promotes public awareness of environmental laws, regulations, and standards.
- Consults with business proprietors regarding health regulations.
- Reviews plans and specifications for land development, sewage disposal systems, child care facilities and food establishments for compliance with sanitation standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication with clients/general public regarding environmental health issues.
- Travel required.
- Bachelor's degree in Health Sciences OR successful completion of a college level algebra or higher math course and 30 semester/45 quarter hours in the basic sciences, i.e. biology, chemistry, physics, or other physical sciences as well as sanitary engineering or environmental engineering.
- A bachelor's degree with not less than 30 credit/45 quarter hours of academic work in physical, biological, chemical and sanitary science and must be willing to meet the National Environmental Health Association registration requirements as an Environmental Health Specialist or Trainee (see question #6 on the examination).
- Valid driver's license (see question #7 on the examination).
Checklist. You will receive a score based on your responses. All responses must be supported in the work history, resume, and/or education portion of your application. You must receive a minimum rating of 70 to pass this examination. Exam results are available immediately online when you complete and submit your exam.
To preview the exam, click on the “Preview Exam” link below (you will not be able to take the exam from this screen). If you wish to take the exam, click on any Apply Online button and follow the instructions provided.
How to Apply:
Click on the Apply Online button to the left and follow the instructions provided to complete the Application Checklist and Exam for this position. When updating your online application information, please add/select:
Health District 5 under "Agencies"
Full-time under "Job Type/Shift"
Twin Falls under "Cities"
When updating your online application information, you must complete all items in the Application Checklist. The information in the Application Checklist includes: (Personal Information, Education Work, History, Cities, Agencies, Job type.) Without this information, your name cannot be referred to the hiring agency.
Temporary appointments from this announcement, serving at least one thousand forty (1,040) hours of continuous service, may be hired as an entrance probationary employee without further examination for the same classification and location as announced.
Thank you for your interest
in employment with South Central Public Health District
At the discretion of the appointing authority, compensatory time off
may be provided in lieu of overtime cash compensation.
Hiring is done without regard to race,
color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability. In addition,
preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and
regulations. If you need special accommodations to satisfy testing requirements,
please contact the Division of Human Resources.