Training Resources

Applying for financial aid and finding appropriate training is not difficult. The federal departments of education and labor have created a single Web site,, where people who are interested in pursuing these opportunities can learn more.

Federal Student Aid Application  (or call 1-800-4FEDAID). Colleges and local offices can help you apply for Pell Grant scholarships and other federal financial aid. While you still need to report last year’s income when applying, your school can adjust your eligibility to reflect your current circumstances.

Pell Grants for Unemployed Workers

What is a Pell Grant?

Federal Pell Grant scholarships cover up to $5,350 in education and training expenses. These scholarships are accepted at nearly every university or community college and many trade and technical schools. Even if you do not qualify for a Pell Grant, you may be eligible for other types of aid.

Point to Remember:

  • Before you enroll in a training program or apply for financial assistance, visit your nearest local office. Make sure you can continue to receive unemployment benefits while attending whatever course of education or training you choose. Not every program excuses you from the requirement to remain available and actively seeking work in order to receive unemployment benefits.

Adjusting Text Size

Use your web browser to control the text size of our website. See below for where to find these controls.

Google Chrome:


Internet Explorer 6:

Internet Explorer 7+:

Mozilla Firefox:

Mozilla Firefox 2:

See instructions for other web browsers.